Friday, May 29, 2009

Stealing Ideas: What to do when you a nooby

Was reading a interesting article at "one Copper" (http://one-copper.blogspot.com/2009/05/1g-plz-proudly-presents-your-first-gold.html) I started thinking how I would make money if I had to start agina at level 1 now.

So here goes (please bear with my limited thinking capabilities on this Friday):

If I had to start at level 1 now with no gold and limited killing and farming capabilities I would first level to 10 and then go on my assualt of the auction house.

First things first. Choosing two gathering professions would net a immediate income as low level herbs and specially ores are always wanted on the AH, but be aware that although you would like level your mining skills by smelting your ore's, first check your local AH for the difference in Ore and Bar prices as ore could be more expensive as not only do people use it to level mining quickly and easily but jewelcrafters can also use ore to prospect jewels.

Now if your going after the mining ore money making route there are a few things to remember:
  • use a add on called Auctioneer if you want to use the AH
  • if using trade (/2 TRADE) remember that trade is made for a quick easy sale, thus prices will be lower
  • have patience, as AH will net you more profit
  • MOST IMPORTANT: sell ore in stacks of 5 as prospectors can only use stacks of 5 thusdont always need 20
Using herbalism will also net you a good profit with inscriptors and alchemists trying to level as alchemist want to make potions/elixers and inscribers want to mill these herbs into pigments.
Also do a bit of research on which alchemy potions use which low level herbs and the quantities needed as sometimes its more profitable to list 2-4 units of a herb on AH instead of a entire stack.

If you want to make good gold and have enough gold for all your training and skills, then remember to NOT buy any gear i.e. weapons/armor until you reach at least level 40 as any gear you buy will be bettered in 1 or two levels of play and more than likely be bettered when you visit your next instance.

Another way of making quick gold is just taking time and watching the AH for specials.
Finding armor at a <40%>
I have found loads of ore's, armors and cloths at coppers and silvers on the AH and resold for double the amount as most newer WOW players are not using Auctioneer and thus dont know what the going prices for items are.

Another way to go are cloths.
The irritating mat, cloth of any type (Linen, Wool, Mageweave etc) will always drop from humanoids and thus normally fill all your bags and generally irritate you.
BUT...
Cloth is a good money maker as most people need this for Tailoring and First aid, so once again this mat is used for two different purposes.

Try selling cloths in larger amounts in trade as most densly populated servers will have lots of people farming cloth and thus you have a better chance of selling 3-5 stacks (20units) of cloth to a private seller than selling yours at a good price with undercutting farmers on the AH.
On the lower population servers cloth is easily sold on AH, a good example would be Wool Cloth on my server which Im reselling for 2.79.79 as we dont have many farmers and people look for bigger stacks.

Hope this helps all my newer low level readers and if you take time to read my older posts you would see many tips on how I got to 1000+ G by playing normally and never farming from level 1.

6 comments:

  1. Good post! I just started my first ever alliance toon on a new server (always played Horde before) and while I have a pretty good cushion on my old server, I had forgotten how rough it was to have no gold. I just have a couple of suggestions for readers:

    I started by running a bank alt to Ironforge to mail all my ore/bars and herbs to. My first purchase was a few bags, granted you won't have enough gold to go too large, but a few 10 slot bags will last until you can afford something larger. I'm up to level 14 and I believe I had about 37 gold in the bank this morning not including probably another up 20 in auctions. I should have plenty of money soon for larger bags and for my mount, which will be my first big purchase at level 30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely need to "farm" the first few gold coins, but once you have about 10g, I believe it's much more efficient to play the AH. I have a few tips on starting up your first AH trades on my blog: http://bootybaymerchant.blogspot.com/2009/05/getting-started-with-auction-house.html

    Booty Bay Merchant

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanx for the comment guys. Please in future dont diss my stuff to make your blogs look good :P

    @ TB: i understand you need to farm, but I see farming as doing something repetatively for hours on end, when in actual fact its not needed when you follow advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Infernix - I think maybe I implied with my post that the larger bags were so I could run around herbing/mining and little else. Not so! I just meant to point out that if you spend a little little gold on larger bags you can save time and level faster because you won't need to return to town to vendor and mail items to your bank alt. I agree 100% with your stance on farming. I only pick up herbs/ore during questing - never running out of my way to "farm". I now have about 100g including auctions at level 16. Even with low level mining I've been able to find ways to make extra gold. I've been buying copper ore on the AH that's priced at 50% or less than the copper bar market and smelting it (taking care not to flood the market of course). While I'm not making 1000g a day, it's much more productive than spending hours running all over the countryside looking for nodes and I can spend more time questing and therefore levelling. Once I get to high enough level where I can max out professions, my plan is to drop the gathering professions and powerlevel a real money-maker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @TB: No man i think you misunderstood. You made one hell of a valid point. Bag space is premium in WOW, sorry if i wasnt clear :)
    But for the guy trying to make his first gold, no extra bags are really needed as a stack of Copper/Tin ore can net a gold in less than 3 hours of wow play.

    Thanx for the comment, i really appreciate it.

    I personally believe in buying Netherweave bags straight off the bat as you can normally make enough money for one on most servers in no time and then slowly start getting more and more.

    Keep in mind a lot of drops are 6-10 slot bags as well as quest rewards, so I most problibly take that as a granted for new players. Sorry that I didnt make that clear.

    ReplyDelete

 
Super Blog Directory