Monday, May 4, 2009

Markets and naive buyers.

After concentrating on leveling my mage (now Lvl45) and leveling my better half's Shaman (lvl 19), I started looking at selling twinks and finding rare drops worth lots of gold.

See, I still think its better to still play the game and make good gold, thus world drops (rare) are good sources of money whilst still leveling.

This move was inspired by a recent blog by Skrooge titled: Twink'd

I will add on to a twink/expensive item list as I go along.

After researching items/gear to go kill for and sell, I actually found a few underpriced items on the AH saturday morning on my server.
Picked up quite a few items for Silvers when they are worth 25-73G per item.
Easy...

...problem:
Naive or just plain stupid buyers.
What I mean by this is that I would, for instance, offer Night Watch Shortsword or Thorbia's Gauntlets on the TRADE channel and someone would whisper me instantly offering i.e. 18G, but auctioneer tells me after weeks of scans that approx 10-20 units have sold at a average price of 56G.

Now sometimes I sell from the AH, meaning I would have something on for 10G Bid and 20G Buyout, but whilst scanning (+-15-20Min) I sell my auction item for 15G in Trade.

So as im selling these and get these offers, I tell them that the prices are 40-50G, and heres the clencher.

Buyer = "wowhead/wowwiki/thollbot says it should be 15G but im prepared to offer 18G"
Me = "my scanner says its 56G on buy out normally and please remember that our market is not thollbots market"
Buyer = "but no level 20 will have that sort of money, I also scan the auction house" (?WTF?)
Me = ...i then explain the average prices and such to the guy/gal...
silence
Buyer = "so will you take 18G?"

WTF?? , the sad part is I go through this about 4 times per items.
How can people be that stupid? Its like telling me 16Gb USB Drives are only 2$ in China (dollar equivalent) but here they cost 80$.
Markets are so different and prices are due to consumer need and supply.

Like I said in previous blogs, on Terokkar the price of Eternal Shadow has gone from +-19G per 5 units to 80-100G in a matter of 1-2 weeks.

Look I do eventually sell these Twink items and rare drops but it takes time, so a profit of 25-50G on a item is worth the wait and cost of relisting.

Tonight though I will be looking for another little pet and being 20 levels higher than the mobs, ill be able to farm a few for this drop and spend the rest of the evening on leveling the shaman.
That little pet is: Tiny Crimson Whelpling as this retails on AH for 150-300G on my server.

PS: As a note, paid 8G for a damn portal to Shatrah this morning for my banker as the darkmoon faire is back in town. Already spent +-6G on items and auctioneer tells me that its worth 30-40G already. Will post tonight or tomorrow morning on my weekly AH fast as Im only standing at the faire spending money, not even going to town or for a toilet break.

4 comments:

  1. May be he just play dumb and wanted to buy it cheap...
    If you are not in a hurry, give those buyer some times.

    Rare item takes time to sell, since not everyone know their real price (as a blessing and a curse, since people will sell it at low price, and buyer is harder to find)

    Just ignore those people who offer riduclous price.

    On a sidenote, don't rely on scanner too much, some item may had a very low demand but listed very often on AH. Even if it's profitable, it takes a long time to get rid of. I had hit the wall with that myself many times, but on the otherhand, it's the only way to know the market...

    See you around

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for the comment.
    I do look for that, but sometimes the price of relisting is worth the risk and time spent.

    I had a buyer like this asking for Lil Timmy's peeshooter and he would not pay me 25G in the TRade channel, later that night he bought it for 28G on AH so I made the money from his ignorance and lapse of judgement for that 2 minutes of chatting.

    hope you enjoy the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had wrote a post on direct trade as well (Scheduled)
    and surely it's the funnest and excited part of the trading business. Great profits and nightmare always come from them, and the judgememt had to made in minutes if not in seconds :) .

    As usual, I'll be around...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't the auctioneer price just show the average price? Don't we want the minimum price on AH? I know i've been fooled often by it's DE pricing, thinking that dusts sell for 8 gold each, they actually sell for 5g.

    ReplyDelete

 
Super Blog Directory